When your aim is to go all-in on your home gym setup, then the best power rack with cable crossover is essential. All weightlifters worth their salt know that free weights are king. However, as you progress up the ladder, isolation exercises help to sculpt the muscles you’ve built. For this reason, a complete squat rack with cable crossover will help you to progress to the highest level.
If you’re someone who began working from home over the past couple of years, your lunch break may have become your new workout session. For this reason, I created this site to help professionals reach their fitness goals in the comfort of their own offices (homes).
The purpose of this article is to introduce you to power racks that come with cable crossovers. Cable crossovers are also known as dual-pulley systems, which are different than racks with lat pull-down attachments. Racks in this category are more feature-rich and heavy-duty.
With that in mind, let’s start by going over the key specs of each rack.
Top 5 Squat Racks With Cable Crossover
How to Choose a Power Rack With Cable Crossover
Below, I put together a list of the key features to consider when selecting your rack:
- Floor Space – The first step is to measure your floor space. Generally, a power rack with a cable crossover attachment needs more floor space than a power rack alone. For this reason, compare your available floor space to the dimensions listed in the chart above. Because those dimensions are the total size of the rack with the crossover attachment.
- Rack Type – Primarily, there are two types of cable crossover attachments. Those are wide attachments, similar to what you’d find in a gym, and the narrower compact attachments, such as the Marcy model listed above. Choosing a wide or narrow attachment comes down to your preference since both exercises will effectively activate your muscles.
- Weight Capacity – Capacity is another factor to consider when loading the cable crossover attachment. In most cases, an attachment will be able to handle your max weight. Since it’s advisable not to go too heavy on cable crossover exercises, even advanced lifters will find that the attachments in this guide are adequate.
- Height Positions – For more versatility, choose a cable crossover attachment with more height adjustments. The greater the number of height positions the more angles you’ll be able to hit your muscles from. Overall, you’ll be able to do a greater range of cable crossovers with more height positions.
All in all, those are the primary factors to consider.
Reviews: Best Power Rack With Cable Crossover
Now, I’ll share reviews of each cage from the chart above to give you a better idea of your options.
#1) Valor Fitness BD-41BCC Power Rack With Cable Crossover
Currently, Valor Fitness offers several racks with cable crossover attachments, and the BD-41 is the pick of the litter. Firstly, there are options to choose this rack with a cable crossover only or with both a cable crossover and lat pulldown. Secondly, this is a substantial rack built with 12-gauge 2.5″ x 2.5″ steel tubes.
The advantage is that you get heavier duty tubes, though, the disadvantage is that it’s usually easier to find aftermarket attachments for 2″ x 2″ tubes. The good thing is that Valor Fitness does sell every type of attachment, including dip handles. Next, one key difference between the BD-41 and BD-7 models is that the BD-41 includes resistance band peg storage at the top and bottom of the rack.
Beyond that, I like the J-hooks, safety bars, and multi-grip pull-up bar on this model more. And considering the current difference in cost, model BD-41 is the better buy overall. Finally, Valor Fitness is one of the more trustworthy brands in this space, and the company backs its racks with a long warranty.
- Available with or without a lat pulldown attachment
- Sturdier J-hooks than model BD-7 (includes two sets)
- Multi-grip pull-up bar station
- Resistance band peg storage
- Smooth-rolling cables
- High customer service marks
- Long warranty period
- You may prefer 2″ x 2″ tubes
- Adding the lat pulldown attachment increases the cost
- Arrives in several boxes (be sure to inventory the parts upon arrival)
#2) Valor Fitness BD-7BCC Power Rack w/ Lat Pull & Cable Crossover
Landing at number two on my list is another model by Valor Fitness. Mainly, this model would be considered Valor’s entry rack. First, the greatest advantage of choosing the BD-7 over the BD-41 is that it costs less. Next, the BD-7BCC comes standard with a lat pulldown attachment, so there’s no need to factor in that extra cost for a complete home gym setup.
Beyond that, as mentioned above, the included J-hooks aren’t of the best quality. Consequently, you’ll more than likely want to replace them with something better, which is an added cost. Additionally, the pull-up bar on the BD-7 model doesn’t offer the same multi-grip pattern, and there’s no resistance band peg storage.
Other than that, I do like that this rack features 2″ x 2″ tubes because it’s easier to find aftermarket attachments. As for the difference in the cable crossover attachment, model BD-CC2.5 is compatible with the BD-41 rack, while attachment model BD-CC2.0 is compatible with the BD-7 rack. Be sure to match the model numbers if you choose to buy the rack and cable crossover attachment separately.
- Comes standard with a lat pulldown attachment
- 2″ x 2″ steel tubes are easier to find aftermarket attachments for
- Includes two sets of J-hooks
- Pulleys slide freely with a bit of silicone-based lube
- Sturdy for all exercises
- The cable crossover may interfere with a 7′ bar on the front of the cage depending on your height
- No multi-grip pull-up bar
- The quality of the J-hooks could be better
#3) Marcy SM-4033 Smith Machine / Cage System
Now for your first compact cable crossover option, the Marcy SM-4033 rack. Firstly, this rack is packed with features. With this model, you’re actually getting a smith machine, cable crossover, and power rack all wrapped into a single package. Plus, it includes a 600 lb weight capacity bench along with a preacher curl attachment.
Having said that, there is one important factor to consider when choosing this rack. That is that it doesn’t include spotter arms. However, there is a solution, and the solution is to purchase 3″ x 3″ spotter arms to attach to the front of the cage. With that addition, you get full functionality from this rack. Presently, Titan Fitness offers 3″ x 3″ spotter arms that fit this rack.
Beyond those considerations, you’re able to do just about every lift imaginable with this rack. There are dip attachments, a butterfly station, a multi-grip pull-up bar, a landmine attachment, and high-quality J-hooks for presses. The only real drawback to this cage is that advanced lifters will find that it doesn’t offer enough weight capacity.
- 600 lb capacity incline bench included
- Landmine attachment
- More compact than other models for people who are low on space
- Plate holders
- Use it as a single-pulley system or dual-pulley for crossovers
- Smith machine and power rack in one
- You may notice some interference when racking a barbell
- Not the best choice for serious lifters because of the lower weight capacity
- Assembly instructions could be clearer
#4) HulkFit Cable Crossover Attachment
Next up is a cable crossover attachment for the popular HulkFit squat rack. To make this work, you will need to add the compatible HulkFit 1000 lb capacity power cage available at Amazon #ad. First, one advantage of this cage is that it does include dip bar attachments, and the 11-gauge steel is seriously sturdy. Comparatively, the steel on the HulkFit cage is even thicker than what Valor Fitness offers.
At the time of this writing, the total cost of the HulkFit power cage along with the cable crossover attachment offers great value. Compared to Valor Fitness racks and the Marcy model above, the HulkFit setup will only set you back a fraction of the cost. Additionally, the 500 lb weight capacity for the cable crossover attachment is one of the highest you’ll find offered by basic home gym equipment.
As for loading the cable crossover attachment, it features 2″ posts that are compatible with all weights with 2″ holes. Another advantage of this attachment is its wide-open design. When using a 7′ barbell at the front of the cage, you won’t notice any interference when unracking and racking the bar.
- More affordable than competing models when bought together with the HulkFit power rack
- Heavy-duty 11-gauge steel construction
- 2″ diameter plater holders for compatibility with Olympic weights
- The wide-open design prevents interference with a 7′ barbell
- High 500 lb weight capacity
- Sturdy and smooth operation
- Assembly instructions are poor
- Requires the purchase of the compatible power rack
- The packaging could be better
#5) Mikolo Multi-Function Power Cage
Finally, if the price of the Marcy cage was outside of your budget, the Mikolo Multi-Function Power Cage is a good budget alternative. Just keep in mind that this model does not feature a smith machine. Having said that, it does deliver a bevy of workouts and useful attachments in a compact package.
Firstly, as you’ve probably already noticed, the size of the tubes is awkward at 80mm x 40mm. With that in mind, locating aftermarket attachments is out of the question for the most part. Because of this, you’ll want to be sure that the base package includes everything you want from a rack.
In total, there’s a set of quality J-hooks, good safety bars, dip attachments, a landmine attachment, a lat pulldown, and a barbell/plate holder. The only missing attachment is extra plate holders, which may require buying a standalone plate holder. There are plate holders at the side of the barbell storage, but the space is limited. As for the cable crossover, it’s a compact system that operates at the front of the cage.
- Includes cable crossover and lat pulldown attachments
- Barbell holder with plate storage
- 4 cable attachments included
- High 1400 lb weight capacity
- Seated row and landmine attachments
- Good quality J-hooks won’t damage your knurling
- Metric frame size
- The instruction manual is poor
- The chance of damaged/missing parts upon arrival (though the seller is responsive)
Ultimately, choosing the best power rack with cable crossover comes down to your preferences and floor space. For people who are tighter on space, choosing a compact cable crossover attachment is the better choice. On the other hand, people with enough space will appreciate the extra stretch they get from a full-size cable crossover attachment.
One final tip is that it’s possible to add your own cable attachment to just about any power rack with a top bar. For instance, this pulley system at Amazon #ad attaches to the top of most power racks with pull-up bars or stabilizers. Because of this, you may find that you’re able to save yourself some money by adding an affordable cable system to your existing rack.
Other than those thoughts, always check the max weight capacity to ensure that it matches your fitness goals and skill level.